Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Norton Update: Ignition


It's been a while since I've mentioned what's going on with my Norton Commando, so here's a quick catch up...

After much fucking about with the carbs and getting nowhere with my running problems, I decided to go back to basics, start with the ignition, and work my way through things from there. This is all kinda scary – need I say I am a total bloody amatuer. Anyway I pulled out my ignition about two weeks back and sent it to British Spares for testing. That came back ok, which is cool but also means I haven't discovered any problems to fix.

My whole wiring loom is looking very old and tired, and so I enlisted the help of my good friend and local rock star 'Bad Evil' to help me tidy up some connections and put the ignition back in nice and tidy like. Bad's some kinda electrical whizz (he builds Plinius amplifiers!) and I don't know shit apart from what Lou Reed siad about electricity coming form other planets.

Next up was to order a new rotor, as my current one is old and the only timing mark on it looks to have been punched into it by someone ages ago. I don't know how accurate it is, and on top of other problems the bike's been kicking back pretty violently a lot when I'm trying to start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment