Tuesday, October 11, 2011

McCleans Island swap meet


Despite being really bloody sick I got up at 7am on Saturday morning and went to the biggest annual swap meet we have down here. I hadn't ever been before, and despite the cold shitty weather, it was easily the biggest swap meet I've ever been to. A shame it wasn't better weather, because it obviously would've been bigger and better if it was. It was raining most of the time we were there, and so a lot of the tables were actually covered up. Who knows what we walked past at times!?

I had measured up my Triumph's frame and petrol tank with the idea that I might find a tank out there, but didn't end up getting anything. It was a strange experience actually. I'd expected everything to be really really cheap, but it wasn't like that at all. Anything that was interesting seemed quite expensive. For instance, a CB100 that I asked about (admitedly it was running and in not bad condition), the guy wanted $2500 for! I know you can pick these up for about a grand, or even less, on Trademe. Didn't these sorts of things used to be great places to pick up really cheap stuff? Has Trademe killed that? Have our expectations changed? There was a bunch of interesting stuff out there, but nothing I enquired about seemed at all cheap. Maybe, and I am a bit of a swap meet amatuer, I'm not looking in the right places? Maybe you're supposed to bargain a bit harder?

Anyway it was worth going because there was a bunch of cool shit to look at. I was really crook though, and it was freezing. We stayed a couple of hours, Bad Evil bought a spade, I got a Norton badge and a shitty fake-old Isle of Man sign, mainly because I didn't want to go home empty handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment