Friday, January 28, 2011

Apology (or I'm a dick, but sometimes it's good to be made to feel like a dick)

I want to apologise for my previous post of a week or so ago. It was ignorant and arrogant and I am now a little embarrassed. Thanks to Max for sparking that little rant and then sending me this link to Rob Giampietro's blog. Turns out Rob is running the Masters in Branding that I previously scoffed at, and Rob is a smart guy. His outline of the curriculum for this programme actually sounds really thoughtful and critical, and is exactly the way I have previously thought 'Branding' couldn't be approached... but of course it could, and I am a dick.

I am humbled. I do however want to point out that I have just been doing some preliminary work for a 'brand' (why is that so icky? I'd prefer to just say identity but the client keeps calling it branding, and he is sort of right, he wants to create a brand that moves far beyond the mark I am making for him)... anyway this project had left a sour taste in my mouth. I haven't done much branding and I should be honest here and just say I don't like doing it. I don't like working on logotypes, identity systems, or branding or whatever you want to call it. I obviously have preferences and prejudices and I let those cloud my previous post... apologies to Mr Giampietro.

No comments:

Post a Comment